Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Why My Name is Really Your Name, Too!

My Hebrew name is Gavriel Aryeh ben Avraham. Why did I choose to be known as this?

Every convert to Judaism becomes a ben (son) or bat (daughter) of Avraham Avinu – Abraham our father. So, in effect, every convert has the same “last name” by virtue of being a child of the very first Jew.

In many cases, the convert will take a Hebrew name that sounds like his/her given name. Morris may take on Moshe. Mary may take on Miriam. Leanne may take on Leah. Mark may take on Mordechai.

My given name is Mark, but I didn’t choose Mordechai or Menachem or a host of other options. I wanted a name that was emblematic of the inner nature and challenge of Jewish life. When I hear “Gavriel Aryeh”, I want to be reminded of what I’m really all about in being a Jew.

Our Sages tell us that there are two natures within which vie for our allegiance. The yetzer hatov (the good inclination, also referred to as hanefesh haEloki – the divine soul) and the yetzer ha’ra (the evil inclination, also referred to as henefesh habehemati – the animal soul). Mankind is created with these opposing forces within. The clash and struggle between them is what enables the exercise of free will, the choice for good over evil, and the striving to live on a plane higher than mere animal urges.

I represent the yetzer hatov by the name Gavriel, after the great angel whose name means “my strength is G-d”. This is the part of my inner being that strives to connect with G-d through observing the mitzvot (commandments) of the Torah. Some of these commandments require positive action – do this. Some of these commandments require restraint and avoidance – don’t do this.

I represent the yetzer ha’ra by the stately lion, called aryeh in Hebrew. This part within me contains the animal urges for sustenance, survival, defense and protection, acquisition, and procreation.

The challenge is for the Gavriel to rule over the Aryeh – for the angel to ride upon the beast. We don’t kill the beast. We ask G-d to tame it within us. We need it. But we must give it over to higher, holy purposes. That is why we say in the beginning part of the morning prayer, “chof et yitzreynu l’hishta’abed lakh” – subdue our inclination to be subservient to You.

In this sense, each of us is a Gavriel Aryeh, for we share a common constitution, a common struggle, and a common reward for strengthening ourselves through application of the Torah’s solutions.

No comments: